Hawthorne Valley Association
Campus Services: Full Time Housekeeping Manager
Hawthorne Valley’s Campus Services is seeking full-time Housekeeping Manager to join its team. We are a highly-skilled collaborative, flexible team of peers seeking an individual to join us in caring for the facilities. The nature of the work requires the applicant have leadership skills, to multitask, to be flexible, and to maintain a positive spirit and enthusiasm for the critical work of maintaining Hawthorne Valley’s vibrant multi-use campus throughout the seasons.
This position is responsible for maintaining the cleaning and sanitation component of the facilities management for all Hawthorne Valley’s buildings: educational, residential, and commercial.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Hiring, scheduling, and training staff to provide housekeeping and cleaning maintenance and projects for the safe and proper operation of all buildings in compliance with HVA’s cleanliness standards. The Housekeeping Manager participates and oversees, and implements all cleaning activities.
- Monitors, manages, and orders supplies and tools related to all cleaning activities.
- Conducts daily walk through inspections of all buildings to assess cleaning and sanitation needs.
- Insures that an evening security check around campus happens at end of shift (including door lock check) and general well-being of campus.
- Helps in providing a timely response and follow up to maintenance request forms at the direction of Facilities Manager.
- Ensure timely recycling/trash/waste/compost removal from buildings to proper receptacles.
- Aids in setup/breakdown/cleanups of various events throughout the year.
- Participates in all aspects of Building and Grounds maintenance and emergency situations for the HVA campus under the direction of the Director of Campus Services or the Facilities Manager
- 40 hours per week, 11 30 am – 8 pm- with some flexibility but generally Monday through Friday. Some weekend and late evening work is required.
- Compensation dependent upon experience, and a very generous package including health and dental insurance plans, paid vacation, personal, holiday and sick time.
To apply, send your letter of interest and resume to Gary Ocean, Director of Campus Services.
Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School
Hawthorne Valley Waldorf School, an Early Childhood through 12th grade private, independent school located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley region in Ghent, NY, is seeking to fill the following positions for the 2016-2017 school year.
Lower School Student Teacher Position
Hawthorne Valley School is seeking an intern for our lower school. The position is a training opportunity for someone interested in becoming a class teacher. The position will include assisting the first grade teacher, lead teaching in grades 2 and 3 for approximately 3 periods per week, and leading the first grade playgroup. There are many opportunities for learning throughout the grade school, including substitute teaching and observation of other classes. This is a full time, stipend-paid position with a health benefit.
Located in the historic Hudson River Valley, our school is ideally situated on a 500-acre biodynamic farm surrounded by beautiful views of the nearby Catskill and Berkshire Mountains. Both natural beauty and cultural riches surround us, providing wonderful opportunities for our students, families, and teachers. The school is 2.5 hours north of New York City.
The school is a branch of the Hawthorne Valley Association, which supports several Anthroposophical initiatives including the farm, the Alkion Waldorf teacher-training program, Adonis Press, a Place-Based Learning Center, and an organic store, lacto-fermentation cellar, and bakery, and others. The local area abounds with additional initiatives including a Christian Community Church and the Berkshire-Taconic Branch of the Anthroposophical Society. Our diverse student body includes the children of co-workers from three nearby Camphill communities.
Qualified applicants will have an undergraduate degree, a Waldorf teacher training either completed or in process, and an unflagging devotion to children. Applicants must be dedicated to excellence in teaching, and be committed to developing strong working relationships with parents and colleagues. Please email a letter of interest along with a resume to: Michael Frosch, Acting School Director.
Hawthorne Valley Farm Store
Part-time FLOOR STAFF
HAWTHORNE VALLEY FARM STORE is looking for two part-time Floor Staff members to join its expanding operations. Floor Staff members work in conjunction with the Floor Manager and our team of stockers and buyers.
Ideal candidates will have:
- experience in providing excellent customer service
- the ability to multitask and work with others
- strong communication and organizational skills
Hawthorne Valley Farm Store strives to provide the highest quality biodynamic, organic, local, and regional food to the community at reasonable prices in a profitable manner; in so doing the Store will support the ongoing mission of Hawthorne Valley Farm.
Candidates must have the ability to do manual work, be able to lift 50 pounds, stand for an 8-hour shift and be able to work nights and weekends. Please visit Hawthorne Valley Farm’s website to learn more about our farm. This is a part-time position; hourly wage. Position is available immediately, EOE, send applications to Chandra, Store Operations Manager. Please no phone calls.
Hawthorne Valley Farm
Internships refer to fixed-length opportunities.
Hawthorne Valley Farm Creamery Internship
Summary: This internship position is within Hawthorne Valley Farm’s dairy operation that makes a wide range of raw and pasteurized dairy products. The internship is 20 hours/week during the length of the summer camp.
Essential Internship Duties:
- Focused time spent on affinage, the care of the cheese after it has been made.
- Assist with numerous cheese makes and various processing responsibilities in the creation of creamery products, including but not limited to alpine, ricotta, quark, cheddar and Bianca cheese, yogurt, buttermilk and raw milk.
- Learn and execute Good Manufacturing Practices around cleanliness and sanitation.
- Direct and manage small groups of campers on specific tasks in the creamery.
- Order fulfillment for all creamery products.
This position requires strong attention to detail, preferably someone with a food background in either service or production. The work is physical and hours are early.
Knowledge and Experience:
- Sanitation is of the highest importance
- Basic knowledge of science/chemistry a big help
Skills and Abilities:
- Strong communication and organizational skills
- Time management skills and the ability to multi-task
Farm Learning Positions
Apprenticeships refer to fixed-length opportunities in the realm of food production and food enterprise. This currently includes traditional vegetable and livestock apprenticeships. In the future, we will be offering structured learning opportunities in the bakery, creamery, and sauerkraut cellar. Current opportunities include:
Farm Learning Positions 2016
Please visit the Farm Learning Program page for the most up-to-date information on available positions and position descriptions.